Wednesday, November 14, 2012

A Note On Muir

For the majority of my lifetime now, I have been a student of sorts of the mountains and forests of various kinds, but mostly the Sierra Nevada. With those studies come the glorys of a group of nature writers such the likes of Thoreau, Leopold, London, Douglas, my favorite Sigurd F. Olson, and John Muir.

You may from time to time in my writings notice quotes or mentions of John Muir. Especially in my upcoming post about a trip to Muir's favorite wild place - Yosemite. Muir's nature musings have many fans around the world, and have found a place in my heart as well. While not agreeing with all of his ideas on how humankind should function within this world, I do enjoy that he did produce a large body of his work in and about the mountains and forests which I like to spend time in.

Through his influential work with the American public, congress, and a handful of Presidents, three National Parks near my home were established. Yosemite, Kings Canyon, and Sequoia National Parks and the land in between are where the majority of my woods excursions take place. Muir wrote about the high mountains, glaciers, rivers, trees, plants, and wildlife that I get the enjoyment of viewing on occations. So it's fun to walk in his footsteps. It is easy to see why he regarded the mountains as a greater cathedral than any man could build, or as he said:

"By far the grandest of all the special temples of nature I was ever permitted to enter."
 
So hats off to you Mr. Muir!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment