Thursday, May 18, 2017

Above the Valley of the Wolves


When I first met him
I could see strength and perseverance
And as is the way of things
We threw him to the wolves
Now seeking their prey in the foothills

And we watched him run with them under the clouds
Roll through the oats and oaks
Footfalls quickly striking the stones of the creekbeds
As the waters cascaded towards the valley

Through this he never faltered
He never slowed his pace
But kept up with the beasts
As they snarled and clacked jaws
Towards the beams of sunlight
Shining bright above the shadows

I even saw him pull ahead at times
Saw him clamber up above me
To the outcrops of rimrock on the ridges
Resting for a bit in the warmth
Until the pack caught up with him

I found it an honor to see him run on the mesa tops
So fast as if his feet never touched the dust and gravel
Watched his wings grow from his back
And carry him away over the canyons
He had known all too well

For Richard
I still see your face smiling, shining in the sun


No comments:

Post a Comment